Short Courses 2013
The Centre for Remote Health offers a range of short courses for Remote Health Professionals and those interested in working in Remote Australia. The courses are offered in a number of locations around Australia, with the majority of the courses being delivered in Alice Springs.
These short courses can be undertaken as continuing professional development and many have been accredited for CPD points with professional organisations for Nurses, Health Professionals, and Medical Practitioners.
Many short courses also are mandatory components of Flinders University award courses in Remote Health Practice and the Master of Remote and Indigenous Health. As such, participants join a varied cohort of learners across a range of professions who practise in isolated locations around Australia.
The fees quoted are for short course participants only. Some courses are fully funded by education grants sponsoring Territorian Health and Community Workers and are offered to eligible participants free of charge.
Registration for all courses is essential, irrespective of the cost.
For any queries concerning the short courses please contact Short Course Administrative officer Jenny Longland
Introduction to living in the Central Australian Context
June: Monday 24th
July: Monday 8th
July: Monday 29th
September: Monday 9th
September: Monday 23rd
October: Monday 28th
November: Monday 11th
Novenber: Monday 25th
Recognising & Responding to Dementia In Indigenous Communities
June: Thursday 13th & Friday 14th, Katherine (passed)
Chronic Disease in Remote Practice
September: Monday 9th - Wednesday 11th, Alice Springs (Cancelled)
March: Tuesday 19th, Alice Springs (passed)
June: Tuesday 25th, Darwin
August: Thursday 22nd, Alice Springs
Framing Indigenous Health
March: Monday 4th - Friday 8th, Alice Springs (passed)
July: Monday 1st - Friday 5th, Darwin
August: Monday 5th - Friday 9th, Alice Springs
Learning & Teaching in Clinical Practice
September: Monday 16th & Tuesday 17th, Alice Springs (Cancelled)
Pharmacotherapeutics for RANS
March: Wednesday 20th & Thursday 21st , Alice Springs (passed)
May: Monday 13th & Tuesday 14th, Mt Isa (passed)
June: Wednesday 26th & Thursday 27th, Darwin (Full)
July: Wednesday 10th & Thursday 11th Alice Springs
August: Monday 12th & Tuesday 13th, Alice Springs (Full)
September/October: Monday 30th & Tuesday 1st, Darwin(Full)
October: Wednesday 30th & Thursday 31st, Broome (Check Availability) Email short course administrator
Primary Health Care
October: Monday 28th & Tuesday 29th, Broome
Transition to Remote Area Nursing (Previously called P4RANP Preparation for Remote Area Nursing) - This does not include REC
March: Monday 4th - Thursday 21st, Alice Springs (passed)
June: Monday 17th - July: Friday 5th, Darwin
August: Monday 5th to Thursday 22nd, Alice Springs
Working with People with Disabilities in Remote & Indigenous Communities
October: Tuesday 1st & Wednesday 2nd, Alice Springs
Commonwealth Funded Courses - Available only to NT Participants OATISH Funded
Responding to Child Abuse & Neglect: What Primary Health Care Practitioners Need to Know
(no course fee for eligible participants)
February: Tuesday 19th & Wednesday 20th, Alice Springs (passed)
March: Tuesday 26th & Wednesday 27th, Tennant Creek (passed)
April: Tuesday 16th & Wednesday 17th, Darwin (passed)
May: Tuesday 14th & Wednesday 15th, Nhulunbuy (passed)
June: Tuesday 18th & Wednesday 19th, Katherine
July: Tuesday 23rd & Wednesday 24th, Alice Springs
August: Tuesday 20th & Wednesday 21st, Tennant Creek
September: Tuesday 3rd & Wednesday 4th, Darwin
September: Tuesday 24th & Wednesday 25th, Nhulunbuy (cancelled)
October: Wednesday 9th & Thursday 10th, Katherine
*Available only to Community and Primary Health Care Workers in the Northern Territory*
- Participants are required to register with the short courses administrative officer
You are advised to book early and start planning travel and accommodation as soon as possible.
- The registration form is found on the flyer for each short course.
- Bookings and payment must be made 4 weeks prior to the course.
- Registrations can be cancelled up to 2 weeks prior to the course start date. If written notification of cancellation is received by CRH within this timeframe, registrants will be refunded in full less an $80 cancellation fee to cover the transaction costs associated with the cancellation.
- No refunds will be processed when cancellation occurs within a two week timeframe prior to course start date.
- A course requires a minimum number of participants. Participants will be notified of cancellation 4 weeks prior to the start date and registrations will be fully refunded.
- We advise students to keep in mind the possibility of unforeseen events and avoid making any bookings that cannot be re-scheduled and/or refunded.
Alice Springs Subsidised Accommodation:
- Subsidised student accommodation may be available in Alice Springs. Enquire early to secure your place by contacting
Alice Springs Campus
Cnr Simpson & Skinner Sts
PO Box 4066
Alice Springs NT 0871
Tel: (08) 8951 4700
Fax: (08) 8951 4777
PO Box 433
Tel : (08) 8971 2758
Fax : (08) 8971 1839